Most sales organizations make a distinction between their “inside” sales (reps that are closing deals without being face-to-face with their buyers) and “field” sales.
Being a sales rep is a tough job. From dealing with difficult prospects and stiff competition to the pressures of hitting quota, the profession can chip away at your motivation – but only if you let it. Similarly, the road to success isn’t easy; in fact, you’ve probably read a few quotes conveying the same message.
There’s a reason motivational quotes are so popular: the best ones are simple and powerful. However, it’s likely that your sales reps have already heard or read the quotes that most often appear on these kinds of lists. And by repeating a message too often, you risk letting it grow stale.
It’s with that in mind that we searched for 20 inspirational sales quotes that your team may not be familiar with. Some are lesser-known sayings of legendary historical figures, while others are astute observations from leaders and sales experts. All of them can help your salespeople stay engaged and focused in 2019.
20 Inspirational Quotes to Motivate Your Sales Team
1. “I never lose. I either win or learn.” – Nelson Mandela
2. “Success looks a lot like failure up until the moment you break through the finish line.” – Dan Waldschmidt (@DanWaldo)
3. "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." – Ernest Hemingway
4. “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” – Willie Nelson (@WillieNelson)
5. “Please think about your legacy, because you're writing it every day.” – Gary Vaynerchuk (@garyvee)
6. “A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.” – William Shakespeare
7. “The trust that a customer has in your company and in you strongly outweighs the techniques you use to sell. Establishing trust is better than any sales technique.” – Mike Puglia
8. “I waited a long time out in the world before I gave myself permission to fail. Please don't even bother asking. Don't bother telling the world you are ready. Show it. Do it." – Peter Dinklage (@Peter_Dinklage)
9. “You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you.” – Andy Warhol
10. “Refuse to attach a negative meaning to the word ‘no.’ View it as feedback. ‘No’ tells you to change your approach, create more value or try again later. ‘No’ is not a failure. It is information.” – Anthony Iannarino (@iannarino)
11. “Be fit for more than the thing you are now doing. Let everyone know that you have a reserve in yourself; that you have more power than you are now using. If you are not too large for the place you occupy, you are too small for it.” – Chester A. Arthur
12. “Don’t measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.” – John Wooden
13. “Humor is the universal solvent against the abrasive elements of life.” – Alan Simpson
14. "I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." – Gustav Mahler
15. “The best salespeople know that their expertise can become their enemy in selling. At the moment they are tempted to tell the buyer what ‘he needs to do,’ they instead offer a story about a peer of the buyer.” – Mike Bosworth (@MikeBLeadership)
16. “If you want to improve productivity, you have to be relentless in terms of your focus on activity. Get better at the activities you perform in buyer interactions every day.” – Jim Ninivaggi (@JNinivaggi)
17. “Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Helen Keller, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
18. “Missing a train is only painful if you run after it! Likewise, not matching the idea of success others expect from you is only painful if that’s what you are seeking.” – Nassim Nicholas Taleb (@nntaleb)
19. “Don’t become a wandering generality. Be a meaningful specific.” – Zig Ziglar (@TheZigZiglar)
20. “Past performance is not indicative of future results.” – Stock exchange risk disclaimer
Salespeople need inspiration and motivation, but you also need to ensure they're can deliver results. Check out the following eBook to learn how video coaching supports team readiness: